It’s your video game industry news update for January 17th, 2018 – Nintendo Labo enters the world of cardboard DIY, Fable 4 is reportedly in development by Forza Horizon’s developers, and Cyberpunk 2077 starts to show signs of life. The video game industry changes every day and your time is important. Let’s get you caught up, starting right now, on Games in Time!
Switch’s New Way to Play
After teases of a “new interactive Switch experience for kids and those who are kids at heart,” Nintendo has revealed Nintendo Labo, a combination of cardboard DIY and Nintendo Switch. With the tagline of “Make, Play, Discover,” players get to build Toy-Con creations from custom cardboard cutouts, then add elements from the Nintendo Switch console in order to play included software, then find out all of the ways that the cardboard creation and the software interact. On April 20th, a Variety Kit and a Robot Kit will be available for $69.99 and $79.99, respectively.
If you ask me, it’s refreshing to see Nintendo be confident enough to try new ideas again, and to be honest, while this isn’t for me, they actually nailed the messaging here – before, during, and after the announcement. Anyone who is disappointed with this announcement probably needs to assess how they buy into hype culture. It’s really cool to see people who are excited for this, though. And hey, look, the return of Project Giant Robot! For more information, check out the reveal trailer, or visit labo.nintendo.com.
Fable 4 Rumors Accelerate
Eurogamer is validating rumors that have been around for the last few weeks, reporting that Microsoft has tasked UK-based developer Playground to work on a brand new, big-budget Fable game. Playground has previously led development on the Forza Horizon games. This comes less than two years after Microsoft closed the original Fable series developer Lionhead Studios and cancelled the free-to-play Fable Legends. The sources in Eurogamer’s report say that the renewed interest in a Fable 4 lies in the tremendous success that Sony had with a story-driven, single-player, open-world action RPG in Horizon Zero Dawn. Naturally, Microsoft has responded that they do not comment on rumors and speculation.
Final Fantasy XV Royal Edition
Square-Enix has been eager to continue the Final Fantasy XV experience, and they show no signs of stopping with the Final Fantasy XV Royal Edition. This Game of the Year-like package includes all season pass content – Episodes Gladiolus, Prompto, and Ignis, as well as the Comrades multiplayer expansion. Additionally, new features include a royal vessel to explore an extended world map, a first-person mode, new bosses, and a new dungeon. Final Fantasy XV Royal Edition comes out on March 6th for $49.99, which is the same date and price as the PC version. Those who already own the base game will be able to buy the Royal Pack, which includes all of the add-on content, for $19.99.
Cyberpunk 2077 Shows Life
Five years after teasing the initial debut trailer, the Twitter account for Cyberpunk 2077 has shown a sign of life with a *beep*. Cyberpunk 2077, you may recall, is the next open-world game from CD Projekt Red, the Polish-based developers of the Witcher franchise. For the last several years, The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt and Gwent have been the focuses for the studio, and even though we got a tease of Cyberpunk in January 2013, we knew it would be a long time before the title’s next update. The verified Cyberpunk Game Twitter account is significant, though, as it ties into a report from Poland’s largest gaming website, GRYOnline. In this article, sources claim that we will see Cyberpunk 2077 at E3 2018 with a conference trailer and a behind-closed-doors demo. It’s certainly still in the rumor category for now, but our long wait for Cyberpunk may be over soon.
- AGDQ 2018 concluded its week-long speedrunning marathon for charity by reaching a new Games Done Quick record of $2.26 million.
- A limited edition PlayStation 4 Pro bundle has been announced for release at GameStop, themed off of Monster Hunter: World. It’s a black PS4 Pro with a grey and red adornment, along with a dark red DualShock 4. It comes out on January 26th for $449.
- SEGA’s lightbulb teaser ended up being for Two Point Hospital, a spiritual successor to Theme Hospital, coming late 2018.
- A new Scribblenauts game has been announced – this one with versus rock-paper-scissors party game action. Scribblenauts Showdown comes to PS4, Xbox One, and Switch on March 6th.
- And finally, recent notable game releases include:
- Street Fighter V: Arcade Edition is out now on PS4 and PC
- 2064: Read Only Memories comes to Xbox One today
- Darkest Dungeon comes to Nintendo Switch tomorrow, January 18th
Latest posts by Peter Spezia (see all)
- CATHERINE and BASTION – Original Soundchat – Episode 3 - February 12, 2019
- Apex Legends Battles for Attention | YOUR WEEK IN GAMES - February 11, 2019
- KATAMARI DAMACY and THE WIND WAKER – Original Soundchat – Episode 2 - February 5, 2019
- The Possibility of a Switch Lite | YOUR WEEK IN GAMES - February 4, 2019
- KINGDOM HEARTS II and GOD OF WAR (2018) – Original Soundchat – Episode 1 - January 29, 2019