It’s your video game industry news update for February 6th, 2018 – The EVO 2018 games have been revealed for the world’s largest fighting game tournament, Rockstar delays Red Dead Redemption II to late October, and Nintendo makes a slew of multimedia announcements. The video game industry changes every day and your time is important. Let’s get you caught up, starting right now, on Games in Time!
The fighting games that will be represented this summer at EVO 2018 have been announced, and while the recent EVO Japan had seven games, this year’s stateside event breaks its recent tradition by having eight games, instead of nine.
The titles included at the world’s biggest fighting game tournament include:
- Street Fighter V: Arcade Edition
- Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
- Tekken 7
- Dragon Ball FighterZ
- Injustice 2
- Guilty Gear Xrd REV 2
- BlazBlue: Cross Tag Battle
- Super Smash Bros. Melee
The most notable snub from this list is Marvel vs Capcom Infinite, making this the first EVO without a Marvel vs Capcom game. Guilty Gear, Melee, Tekken, DBZ, and Street Fighter will be the Sunday finals. EVO 2018 takes place from August 3rd-5th at Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas, Nevada.
Rockstar’s upcoming western frontier epic, Red Dead Redemption II, has been delayed to October 26th. However, the game continues to circulate in fan discussion online, due to rumors of development notes acquired by TrustedReviews.com. This rumor states, among many things, that the campaign and online multiplayer will have an option for a first-person perspective and that campaign events could unfold differently depending on a player’s morality or character interaction decisions.
Most notably, however, is the suggestion that a Battle Royale mode is in the works for multiplayer. If this ends up being correct, it would be one of the first notable AAA examples of attempting to take PUBG’s crown in a $60 release. While the rumors should be taken with a grain of salt, we’ll have to wait for official word from Rockstar in the coming weeks.
Nintendo has announced that their paid online service for Nintendo Switch will launch in September 2018, making it 18 months removed from the console’s launch. The company did not specify how it plans to coerce players to pay for something that will have been free for so long, but it is reasonable to expect that a new Switch title with online multiplayer and a Virtual Console solution will arrive at this time. On the mobile games front, Nintendo confirmed that Mario Kart Tour is in development for iOS and Android, coming some time before March 2019. Finally, Nintendo is getting back into Hollywood, as it announced a partnership with animation studio Illumination to bring a Mario film to theaters. Illumination is known for creating Despicable Me and The Secret Life of Pets. Shigeru Miyamoto is co-producing.
- Kaz Hirai is stepping down as Sony CEO and will be replaced by Kenichiro Yoshida. Hirai was President of Sony Computer Entertainment from 2006-2011.
- PlayStation has also confirmed that in their upcoming PS4 firmware 5.50, SuperSampling Mode will be available on PS4 Pro, matching Xbox One X’s ability to compress higher-resolution images to a 1080p screen.
- Yakuza 6: The Song of Life has been delayed to April 17th, but as compensation, a demo will be available for download on February 27th.
- Emulator controversy in the competitive Donkey Kong arcade community has caused King of Kong antagonist Billy Mitchell to have his records stripped.
- Public tickets for E3 2018 go on sale Monday, February 12th, at 12 PM ET. The first 1000 passes will be available for $149, while remaining tickets will be $249.
- In the rumor mill, there’s this year’s Call of Duty being Black Ops 4 with a Switch version also in the works, a new Crash Bandicoot game in development for 2019, and mixed messages on whether or not Sumo Digital is making a new Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing title.
- And finally, here are your recent notable game releases:
- Shadow of the Colossus is out today on PS4
- Dandara is out today on PS4, Xbox One, PC, and Nintendo Switch
- Middle-earth: Shadow of War – Blade of Galadriel is out today on PS4, Xbox One, and PC
- Civilization VI: Rise and Fall comes to PC on Thursday, February 8th
- Dragon Quest Builders comes to Nintendo Switch on Friday, February 9th
Latest posts by Peter Spezia (see all)
- SYMPHONY OF THE NIGHT and A HAT IN TIME – Original Soundchat – Episode 21 - June 18, 2019
- KID ICARUS UPRISING and DANGANRONPA 2 – Original Soundchat – Episode 20 - June 11, 2019
- POKÉMON DIAMOND/PEARL and PERSONA 3 – Original Soundchat – Episode 19 - June 4, 2019
- STARDEW VALLEY and ANIMAL CROSSING: NEW LEAF – Original Soundchat – Episode 18 - May 28, 2019
- SONIC ADVENTURE 2 and SUPER MARIO 64 – Original Soundchat – Episode 17 - May 21, 2019